Obesity moral panic, step by step
1. Promote an androgynous ideal for women. (first wave 1920’s, second wave during WWII, third wave started in the late 1960’s)
- Social enforcement factor: You must look more like a man to compete with men. Promote androgynous models as more beautiful than the busty, thick thighed pin-up girls of the past. Manjaw becomes standard.
2. Promote a vegan/low fat/high grains/cholesterol free diet as healthy and the best way to achieve the ideal look. (limited trend from the late 1800’s, and mainstreamed in the 1970’s)
- Social enforcement: “Meat is murder!”, eating foods with cholesterol gives you heart disease, if you’re fat you must be doing something contrary to the reccomendations.
3. Scare the public about obesity. (started in the 1970’s but really got rolling in the 1980’s, and reached frantic levels in the new millenium)
- Social enforcement: blast statistics everywhere, and don’t let a night of news pass without displaying images of the severely morbidly obese minority of overweight people.
4. Promote the idea that obesity is the result of (incurable) mental illness (1980’s) and/or genetic defectiveness (late 1990’s).
- Social enforcement: running in tandem with feminist agenda, claim that men are rampantly sexually abusing girls (which the vast majority are not) which makes them grow up to be obese women, and that most men prefer the unrealistic emaciated or androgynous ideal (which they don’t) which traumatizes women rather than just repelling them in the few cases in which this is true.
- claim that for those for whom this is not true, it is genetic or caused by an incurable illness/damage to an organ (such as the thyroid) (I’m proof, by the way, that a natural diet can reverse nutritionally induced hypothyroidism at least in one case. I’ve seen others say the same in paleo/ethno forums.)
- claim that if you weren’t sexually abused, and you’re not ill or defective, it’s because you’re not following the recommendations well enough. So we’ll enact laws and policies that make it impossible for you not to comply.
- at ground level, harass the defectives; “BURN the WITCHES!”
5. Sell “$olution$” (drugs, gastric bypass) that do not threaten industries (“big food” (esp. Monsanto), big oil, big pharmaceutical) currently profitting from the previous steps. (2000’s)
- We are trying to help you to comply and still be skinny.
6. Since the “solutions” are too expensive for most affected individuals to get without their health insurance companies agreeing that they have a disease that can only be cured by these methods, nationalize healthcare so that the federal government gets to be the one who decides what is covered and what isn’t.
- If you do not play ball, we take the ball from you.
7. The federal government (CDC) of course, sees obesity as a disease (it’s prevalence is called “epidemic”), and of course the statistics say that it can’t be cured except by drastic and expensive measures.
- Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
8. You pay more taxes, but they’re called “national health insurance” payments.
- You will pay so that others who aren’t able to voluntarily minimize their calorie intake can be surgically or chemically forced to.
This is where you’re being herded, Americans.
Here in Israel, where we already have national health insurance, because of the sick mentality seeping into the politics and culture here, an overweight person who isn’t even sick because of their fat can get free or near free gastric bypass surgery. I have a friend who should definitely not get it because she has severe nutritional deficiencies (from a history of yo-yo dieting and fat avoidance), but the doctors cut her up anyway. I fear for her life.
Again, I don’t expect this will discourage any cretins, but for those who are not stupid, this should show you what idiots they are.
1 thought on “Moral Panic: Obesity (The Short Version)”